Extracting the Past

goffik

Extracting the Past

Post by goffik » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 am

Sadly I'll not be able to go, but this should be interesting!
Have you been reading about rare Neolithic houses and a Beaker burial containing a ‘prehistoric princess’ recently? These discoveries were made during our excavations at Kingsmead Quarry, Horton.

Saturday 27th April 2013, we are holding a FREE open day to showcase some of the amazing finds from these excavations. The event will be held in Wraysbury Village Hall, Berkshire (TW19 5NA) 10.30 am to 3.30 pm.
Full article: http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/blogs/event ... cting-past

G x

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Re: Extracting the Past

Post by AlanS » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Hoping to get there, on the way down to Woking. All depends on how Mikki feels of course, but I'm always hopeful.

I'll be leaving a few of my flyers if I do go there...

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Post by AlanS » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Had a great day today! Firstly, the Wessex Arch open day was very interesting. We got there early, and Mikki was made to feel welcome, everyone from Wessex was very engaging, and happy to explain the display boards and finds from the Horton Quarry. Phil Harding was off in a side rom, knapping away, telling stories, explaining techniques and generally being entertaining.

Then onto the Rescue AGM. As we walked in, I heard my name called, and was met by none other than our own Sandy Gerrard! A pleasant and unexpected surprise, which was compounded when he was later elected onto the Rescue Council. Congratulations Sandy! After the business meeting was a public talk on the plight of museums being unable to keep up with the influx of archaeological finds from developer-led excavation. As an example, there is nowhere in the whole of Kent that is accepting collections for archive at present, and Kent is not alone in this. Truly shocking.

I'll try to do a write-up on the day for the Journal some time tomorrow.

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:29 am

Great stuff Alan, looking forward to the details, and massive congrats Sandy!

goffik

Post by goffik » Wed May 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Sounds excellent! And how surreal, unexpectedly bumping into Sandy!

I've not got around to reading your excellent and detailed post about it, but there's also an article by Wessex Archaeology about it here:

http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/blogs/event ... lar-public

G x

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Post by AlanS » Wed May 01, 2013 1:24 pm

I've left a comment on the Wessex article, providing a link back to us. It's awaiting their moderation process, so probably won't get published. :-)

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Thu May 02, 2013 8:46 pm

It was great to meet Alan and many thanks for the congratulations to you and Nigel. Think I am going to be busier than ever not sure how I am going to fit it all in.
When and where is the MegaMeet this year? I promised last year that I would try and make it but may need to re-arrange things.