Ness of Brodgar makes Skara Brae look like a shanty town!

goffik

Ness of Brodgar makes Skara Brae look like a shanty town!

Post by goffik » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 pm

I've not given as much time to the Ness of Brodgar excavations as I'd like, so seeing these links on TMA by Sounder and Nickbrand have made me very happy indeed! Great articles with some amazing photos.

h ttp://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/oct/06/ ... rect=false

http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/p ... hanty-town

I see Baza had been along to have a look. Might see if he's around to tell us about it (I'm ure he's signed up here but may be wrong). I bet the lovely Nicki MacRae has pics, too... will ask her on FB.

G x

juamei
Web Monkey

Re: Ness of Brodgar makes Skara Brae look like a shanty town

Post by juamei » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:34 am

Looks amazing. Won't be able to afford to visit for a few years, which on one hand is a pain, but on the other, they'll have excavated more by then! National disgrace its not being properly funded by Historic Scotland...

goffik

Post by goffik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Damn right! I always thought they were among the better of the heritage bodies as well! That said, this doesn't mean they aren't still one of the better ones, does it? :)

I'm really tempted to look into getting us all up there next year for a holiday (and by "us all", I mean my family, not you lot! ;) )

The logistics and finances are a bit headache-inducing though, so we'll probably do summat else. Funny how a trip to Carnac sounds less daunting! :D

nickbrand

Post by nickbrand » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm

There are a lot of things wrong with Historic Scotland, please don't get me started on that one... They have their moments, but far too many things are either ignored or apparently deliberately neglected. Given some of the people in charge, I suspect I know why... But this project is turning up some fairly amazing stuff, and I look forward to a visit at some point. A five hour drive up to Jo'G and then a short hop ower the wattir... ;)
“We cannot expect people to have respect for law and order until we teach respect to those we have entrusted to enforce those laws.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

goffik

Post by goffik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Ah - hahaha! I'm all ears! ;) Maybe it's just a case of "better than I'm used to"!

It seems, on the surface, that the sites they DO look after are remarkably well looked after, but I suspect I'm totally wrong by the sound of it...

So! Who's the best historic body for scheduling, managing, protecting and maintaining ancient sites? Only one way to find out... FIIIIGHT!!! :D

CARL

Post by CARL » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 am

H.S. may have their faults but the sign posting for H.S. sites is far better than CADW's!! :o

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 am

Nah, Cadw's rock art signs are brilliant! http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/201 ... mountains/
:)
(Hi Carl!)