Suggestions for Possible Articles

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Re: Suggestions for Possible Articles

Post by AlanS » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Oh I don't know. I pay £300 for a rose tree for £10 years on my parents' plot. If it ever gets built, I suspect it'll last a lot longer than 30 years...

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Post by AlanS » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:24 pm

At least one senior MP is now speaking out against the NPPF, and the damaging legacy it could leave.
Nadhim Zahawi, the MP for Stratford on Avon and member of the Prime Minister’s Policy Unit, has today expressed concern that the Government’s planning reforms are causing ‘physical harm’ to our countryside, which is under ‘intense attack’ from ‘rapacious developers’
http://ntpressoffice.wordpress.com/2014 ... ises-nppf/

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Stonehenge struggling to cope with numbers

Post by AlanS » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:38 am

Didn't we predict this a while ago?
Furious visitors to the new £27 million Stonehenge visitor centre have criticised English Heritage for ‘chaotic scenes’ as the venue struggles to cope with the number of people attending.

Staff and volunteers at the new centre, which opened just three weeks ago, have also voiced their concerns at how it is coping with thousands of visitors every day.
http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Ston ... story.html
One volunteer, who declined to be named, said it was immediately obvious the centre would not be able to cope with the numbers of people visiting.

“The problem is the transport, getting people to and from the stones,” he said. “They have abandoned the idea of only using the Land Trains, we’ve got coaches now, which kind of defeats the object. Also, when it’s windy or raining, those in the ticket office can’t open the windows to serve people because the rain blows in, it’s been built facing the wrong direction,” he added.

juamei
Web Monkey

Post by juamei » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:27 am

Hopefully just teething troubles! Maybe they just need to buy more landtrains...

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:32 am

Maybe they just need to buy more landtrains...

That's certainly something we suggested. The whole reason for having to book in advance - that everyone hates - seems to be down to insufficient transport.

juamei
Web Monkey

Post by juamei » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:25 pm

They should get some cheap tuktuks and provide some local employment as well.

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Post by AlanS » Wed May 07, 2014 7:48 am

A new road which campaigners tried to have rerouted to save the site of a Bronze Age burial monument has won planning permission.

A dig ahead of work starting on the Great Western Park estate in Didcot, Oxfordshire, discovered humans had lived on the site for 9,000 years.

The Eastern link road, approved by South Oxfordshire District Council, will cut across the pond barrow site.

Builder Taylor Wimpey said archaeology had already been cleared from the area.
Oh, so that's alright then! FFS!! This is the site that recently was crowing about installing a 'Heritage Trail'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-27222724

Edit: (I've now drafted an article about this)