Megaliths on Film

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Megaliths on Film

Post by AlanS » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm just starting to research a possible article for the Journal, covering mainstream films that feature megaliths.

The Harry Potter films feature an odd stone circle (is it based on anywhere 'real'?), Stonehenge has featured in several Dr Who episodes from the seventies through to the 'noughties' and a very ropey film was set entirely in Stonehenge - "Stonehenge Apocalypse" - which had the stones 'wobbling' and movable. Avebury circle and village have featured in the Children of the Stones TV Series.

Which film featuring megaliths would you nominate as a favourite? Megaliths can be fictional or real, please indicate which!

Sandy

Re: Megaliths on Film

Post by Sandy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm

Well where does one start - I suspect there are very many. Stonehenge features in "Tess of the D'urbervilles", and what about that opening scene in "2001 a space odyssey".
"Stig of the Dump" has something and there is a truly dreadful barrow in "The Fisher King" episode of Midsomer Murders (hardly mainstream though!). For Avebury there is "Children of the Stones" - I can't believe that was filmed in 1976.

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 pm

The Tellytubbies.

goffik

Post by goffik » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:47 pm

There was a cartoon on CBeebies (my kids are very young - honest! :D ) called "Garth and Bev", which is set in the Bronze age and features a druid who can open portals to the future for the children to travel through. Stories often centred around the stone circle: http://blog.garthandbev.tv/wp-content/u ... /BEACH.png

I know that's not what you're after, but it may be of interest! :)

G x

Scubi

Post by Scubi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:34 pm

The new pixar film 'Brave' features one I believe though I haven't seen it (yet), then there's Asterix of course and the new Battlestar Galactica series has one of a sort. Was there one in 10,000 BC or was I imagining that, same for the old Excalibur film (1981) with Helen Mirren. I might have to watch those two again to find out.

:o)

CARL

Post by CARL » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:18 am

There was that King Arthur film a few years ago that featured a stone circle - rubbish film!

juamei
Web Monkey

Post by juamei » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 am

Stonehenge (where else) was featured in a semi-recent episode of Doctor Who. Google tells me its the 2-part season finale of the 5th new season. "The Pandorica Opens" and "The Big Bang". Pretty good episodes if you like that kinda thing.

Apparently part filmed at Stonehenge and part filmed at a replica.

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Post by AlanS » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:20 am

So it seems that most 'appearances' are either Stonehenge (Film and TV) or Avebury (TV), or fake...

I'll need to do some more digging, obviously, if I'm to get an article out of this.