Welcome (new users start here)

Megas

Re: Welcome (new users start here)

Post by Megas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Nigel wrote:These days we've moved into online campaigning, awareness raising and advocacy through the Journal. We seem to have stumbled into a gap that needed filling judging by the number of followers we've gained in the past couple of years.
But you will only raise awareness with those that are already aware, that is why they read the journal (as I do, hence i'm here).

Nothing beats some direct action and hands on involvement in terms of highlighting a cause to those that are unaware of the issues involved.
"Those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 pm

"Nothing beats some direct action and hands on involvement in terms of highlighting a cause to those that are unaware of the issues involved."

I can assure you we are very well aware of the relative merits of both active and online tactics, having done both and debated both between ourselves for a good many years - so we probably don't need advice on the subject.

As for us only being able to raise awareness with those that are already aware, having built up a Twitter following of 3,600 people in quite a short time we'd all probably beg to differ.

Megas

Post by Megas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm

The only reason I made the comment is that I work for an umbrella organisation in the third sector developing funding streams and then creating and implementing lobbying and awareness strategies for our third sector members so have plenty of experience in this area.

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Megas wrote:I work for an umbrella organisation in the third sector developing funding streams and then creating and implementing lobbying and awareness strategies for our third sector members
Which organisation is that?

Megas

Post by Megas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Probably best not to say because I am sometimes critical of the way the third sector works and it would be inappropriate (and potentially damaging to my employment) to put a name to it. What one says person to person is a lot different in terms of potential career implications, to what gets discussed in the public domain of the internet.

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Come off it, how many people are there "working for umbrella organisation in the third sector developing funding streams and then creating and implementing lobbying and awareness strategies for third sector members"?

You're identity is already obvious to your employers so it can't hurt to reveal it here.

Megas

Post by Megas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:21 pm

It's not relevant and I don't wish to bandy around who my employer is online either on here or anywhere else. As for how many people there are working for umbrella organisations in the third sector, the answer is a LOT.

http://www.ncvo-vol.org.uk/umbrellas-directory

People don't realise how big the third sector is in the UK and it's growing.

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Hello again

In reality, this confusion of photons and electrons is known as Jan. He used to visit TMA a lot. He still has the green tee-shirt, and still loves that huge, baffling mound alongside the A4.

goffik

Post by goffik » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello, sir! How the jiggins are you? It's been... fecking ages! :D Great to see you around, mate! :)

G x

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:55 pm

goffik wrote:Hello, sir! How the jiggins are you? It's been... fecking ages! :D Great to see you around, mate! :)

G x
Hi Goff,

I'm OK. You're right; it has been a long while. Still into stones - just come back from a few days around Avebury (too fecking cold to do much perambulation, but the Red Lion is still OK for a visit) and we walked along the back lanes to Trusloe, wondering just which bits of Beckhampton Avenue were in which barn footings :) . And went down to the Winterbourne Stoke Barrows for a wintry wander (it was snowing...). I must say that the roadworks on the roandabout there make pulling into the layby relatively easy!

Stopped off at Glasto on the way back down here, and scored a copy of "Orkney and Shetland: an archaeological guide" by Laing in hardback for £2. Result. Despite its age it is quite topical; it makes reference to the same type of barrow being found in both Wessex and Orkney, which ties in with the recent MPP programme and the communal carve and crunch of distant diasporic cattle that apparently occurred at Durrington.... oh... and we've been copping a few "holy" wells around Devon and Cornwall... someone should do a website... :)

I hope it's all good with you, chum

Peace

Pilgrim

X