Historic listed building demolished...

goffik

Historic listed building demolished...

Post by goffik » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:48 am

I know this is WAY beyond our timeline, but it's important to see what's going on... AND I f**king HATE McDonalds.
Historic listed building demolished to make way for McDonalds

A HISTORIC section of the iconic Blue Boys Cafe has been demolished – two days before it was to be granted protection by English Heritage.

The beloved cafe in Hastings Road in Matfield has been the focus of a campaign pushing to protect the building amid plans by the owner to turn it into a McDonald’s drive-thru.

But part of the oldest section of the building was taken down on May 13, just two days before it was due to be given Grade II listing. A spokesman for English Heritage said it was disappointed part of Blue Boys was demolished while the listing process was taking place.

“As it stands, buildings being considered for listing have no protection from demolition,” he said.
Full article: http://www.courier.co.uk/Historic-liste ... story.html

G x

juamei
Web Monkey

Re: Historic listed building demolished...

Post by juamei » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:53 am

The law is an Ass! Should be illegal to do anything whilst scheduling is being considered.

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:13 pm

I wonder if a letter saying "we're thinking of scheduling" prompted them to get out the wrecking ball? Bizarre.

juamei
Web Monkey

Post by juamei » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Sounds a lot like the owner realised he was about to banned from demolishing so got in there asap.

goffik

Post by goffik » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:18 pm

That's what I reckon... Similar things have happened all over, by all accounts. Some fantastic buildings here in Southampton have been bulldozed, or burned down under highly dubious circumstances, that were due to be scheduled in a few days' time... Rubbish. If it's *due* to be scheduled, schedule it! Surely?

G x

juamei
Web Monkey

Post by juamei » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Guess its "due to be put in front of a hearing to determine if it should be scheduled and it probably will be"...