Situations Vacant

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Situations Vacant

Post by AlanS » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 am

Hi folks,

We're looking for some individuals with some time to spare to join the team and assist in preparing articles for the Journal:
  • News Editor - Someone with a couple of hours to spare each week, interested in compiling a weekly/monthly round-up or archaeological and heritage news of relevance to our readers.
  • Diary Editor - Someone again, with an hour or so a week to spare, is needed to compile a monthly listing of upcoming conferences, events, exhibitions etc.
  • Press Liaison - An outgoing person, with heritage protection at heart, is needed to formulate and nurture a relationship with the established media. Fostering journalistic relationships so our point of view can be heard on topical heritage items, creating press releases (with the help and advice of the usual HA team) and ensuring they get to the right people.
If you can help with any of the above (or know someone who can) please let us know either here, or if you prefer privacy, offline or via the Forum Private Message system.

Thanks!
A.

juamei
Web Monkey

Re: Situations Vacant

Post by juamei » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 am

Al, you gonna stick a link on twitter to this?

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Post by AlanS » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

I was thinking a full journal entry if no response from here, but yeah, could do a Twitter link later...

brookebrooky

Post by brookebrooky » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi, need more info but would certainly be interested in the Editor role.

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Post by AlanS » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello Sue, and Welcome. You'll find us all friendly here, so please feel free to join in any discussions and tell us a bit about yourself. It's not a very busy place here, but we hope it's interesting enough. If you have any questions, just shout. Some names to get familiar with:
  • Nigel is our chairman and responsible/ethical metal detecting advocate and one of our story author/editors.
    Juamei is one of our technical bods who helps run the site as well as providing the occasional article.
    Alan (that's me) is 'Features Editor' for want of a better title. I check that stories are correctly formatted and 'on focus', and produce stories when I can. Special interest in Cornwall.
    Goffik (Graham) is resident comedian, (he makes us laugh..) graphic designer and occasional news ferret.
    Scubi (Chris) and Jimit are both exceptional photographers whose work has been featured on the Journal many times.
    Sandy is one of our (sometimes not so) tame archaeologists.
    Rhiannon our folklorist.
    etc...
I'm sure others will introduce themselves as and when...

We have two editor roles available, as you can see. Neither should be too onerous (I hope!) The idea would be to gather pertinent information - our primary focuses are pre-Roman monuments and heritage crime - regarding news articles or events. For an idea of the kind of things we're looking for, see our occasional 'Cheers and Boos' articles http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/?s=Cheers+and+Boos which we'd like to expand and regularise slightly into a longer weekly or monthly piece.

On the events side, we've previously highlighted individual organisations' or areas' events - see our recent Diary Dates for Cornwall, http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/?s= ... s+cornwall or tomorrow's for Wiltshire. What we'd like to produce is a monthly listing of upcoming events around the country with links to the detail source pages - local archaeology society talks, conferences, exhibitions, guided walks etc. - again, all with that pre-Roman focus in mind. The schedule would be such that early in February we produce March's listing, in early March, April's events and so on.

We look forward to hearing more about and from you!

brookebrooky

Post by brookebrooky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi and thanks for the welcome! I can give you a little bit of background on my interests. I live with an Iron Age Hillfort quite literally in my back graden, here in Cardiff. For the last 8 years or so I have been researching the area and working locally, within my community - including local schools - to protect what remains of a Norman church within the hillfort site. The area is a SAM so I've been working closely with CADW and the local PAS at The National Museum of Wales as well as the local authorities and local press. This work has recently culminated with a more formal approach to education with a project run by Cardiff University, supported by our local Communities 1st Team. The hillfort was recently featured on Time Team (Series 20, episode 3, Capital Hill) and I was involved with the whole 3 days on site, as well as pre and post meetings. It was widely known that I had major misgivings about highlighting the site which I had managed to keep well hidden for so long but, in this case, it has proved to be a successful approach to protecting the site. Keeping the focus upon the church had meant no-one took much notice of the my 'lumps and bumps' in the adjoining field. Heritage trails will now be developed leading more people to the site, from the Museum of Welsh Life in St. Fagan's, the work with schools will be extended and the adult learning courses will be extended wider. The support of CADW has been reassuring and, really, invaluable. I'm very lucky in that the whole area here has some amazing history, which has been brilliant for me, being a local historian at heart. I can get out and about to some really interesting places and, as they say, get mud on my boots. I have been writing about this area for some years now and have built myself quite a useful set of skills, including picking up some qualifications along the way. The work developed with with Cardiff University was recently launched at the Senedd and more funding is currently being sought to extend the project further. So, all in all I've moved along quite nicely, having actually only started out as Mrs. Angry from Caerau banging on about vandalism.

Nigel
Troublemaker

Post by Nigel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi Sue and welcome!
"Mrs. Angry from Caerau banging on about vandalism" is ideal and all the rest is a welcome bonus!

juamei
Web Monkey

Post by juamei » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Mrs. Angry from Caerau banging on about vandalism
You'll fit in just fine ;-)

Hello and welcome btw!

AlanS
Contributing Editor

Post by AlanS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi Sue,

With the TT and other experiences behind you, it sounds as if you may well have some interesting stories to tell, whether you decide to take one of the editor roles or not! I look forward to hearing/reading more...

OB1

Post by OB1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Phew! I don't have to volunteer then, only to be rejected at interview! :)